PROJECT CONCERN INTERNATIONAL
Senior Advisor – Maternal & Child Health/Nutrition
Reports to VP, Food, Livelihood & Security
Location: Washington, DC
About Project Concern International:
Founded in 1961, PCI is an international non-profit organization dedicated to promoting community health and integrated development worldwide. PCI is headquartered in San Diego, CA, and currently operates in 16 countries in Asia, Africa, and the Americas. Primary intervention areas include maternal and child health and nutrition; water and sanitation; food and livelihood security; humanitarian assistance; and disease prevention and mitigation with a focus on HIV/AIDS. With an FY10 operating budget of $30 million, PCI reaches over 4.5 million people annually.
Job Summary: The Senior Advisor for Maternal & Child Health/Nutrition’s primary goal is to ensure overall technical and programmatic quality and growth of PCI’s maternal and child health and nutrition (MCHN) programs with an emphasis on community based health and nutrition among infants, small children and pregnant and lactating women. The Senior Advisor for MCHN may also provide technical and programmatic support for MCHN components of other programs such as HIV/AIDS, infectious disease, food and livelihood security, education, and humanitarian assistance.
The Senior Advisor for MCHN will work collaboratively with the rest of the technical team in San Diego, Washington, DC and around the world, in close collaboration with the Food & Livelihood Security Unit and the Senior VP for Programs. Specific responsibilities to include program design and quality assurance; accessing and disseminating state-of-the-art information, resources and promising practices; identification of technical assistance (TA) needs and ensuring that TA is effectively provided; facilitation of organizational learning and capacity building of field and international office (IO) staff; and program development, including fostering strategic partnerships, planning, positioning, publishing, and proposal preparation for MCHN programming.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Program Quality
• Ensure successful MCHN program start-up and implementation, including meeting operational targets and achieving or exceeding performance objectives
• Assess the need for ongoing TA, support and capacity building in MCHN, throughout the organization and in relevant community-based partners
• Prioritize TA needs, develop and ensure the implementation of realistic and effective action plans for meeting those needs
• Identify, secure and/or adapt state-of-the-art resources (technical, material, institutional and individual) for use in PCI’s MCHN programs
• Provide, or arrange for the provision of, TA, guidance and capacity building in MCHN utilizing state-of-the-art resources and approaches
• Foster organizational learning and cross pollination of promising practices throughout the organization, through sharing of information electronically, via workshops, tool kits, compilation documents, etc.
• Network with technical resources, potential partners and collaborators both internal and external to PCI
2. Program Development
• Serve as team leader for the development and submission of successful proposals for dedicated MCHN programs or for MCHN components of broader/other programs
• Relationship building; identifying key contacts and ensuring good relationships with potential and existing funders, technical resources, etc.
• Identifying and building relationships with strategic institutional partners. Identifying and facilitating the implementation of joint proposals, joint projects, and partnership agreements to expand the quality and scope of MCHN programming
• Identifying strategic opportunities to share PCI achievements, lessons, models and results in key conferences, publications and other venues. Ensuring technical quality of donor reports, publications or presentations and motivating staff within the organization (IO and field) to similarly publish and/or present
• Contributing to proactively and strategically building PCI’s reputation, quality programming and resource base (materials, human, and financial resources) in MCHN
• Participating in project design and program planning in MCHN, including participation in the selection of appropriate methodologies for program implementation, capacity building, monitoring and evaluation such as indicator selection, and research
• Work to ensure that proposals submitted have the greatest possible likelihood of success and, if not originally successful, determine alternative strategies for resubmission of repackaged proposals
3. Management of Selected Programs
• In consultation with the Senior VP for Programs, serve as program manager for any MCHN-oriented IO-managed initiatives or programs.
• MPH or equivalent advanced degree
• Ten years relevant professional experience, including international public health programming with an emphasis on MCHN
• Five years relevant overseas work experience with an emphasis on MCHN, particularly with community based health and nutrition among infants, small children and pregnant and lactating women.
• Five years experience managing complex programs within a non-profit or community agency in a developing country context and in MCHN
• Experience or familiarity with US government grant proposal preparation and regulations, ideally USAID Title II Multi-Year Assistance Programs, preferred
• Excellent communications and interpersonal skills, both written and verbal, including ability to effectively communicate across cultures
• Excellent program development and grant writing experience
• Experience and ability in capacity building and the provision of technical support in MCHN
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Fluency in English. Proficiency in Spanish or French preferred
• Computer literacy required
• Must be able to travel internationally (25% – 40%)
How to Apply
To apply please e-mail a cover letter addressing how your skills and experiences meet the needs of the position and the organization along with an updated résumé/CV to:
Jill Solomon, Senior Recruiter
Global Recruitment Specialists