We’re excited to announce an upcoming policy dialogue on maternal health priorities for South Asia on Tuesday, March 31st. This dialogue is part of our partnership with UNFPA and the Wilson Center, which was recently voted the #1 think tank in the United States and one of the top ten think tanks in the world. Interested in attending? RSVP and see the invitation from the Wilson Center below to learn more details about how to participate in the event.
In early February, the Wilson Center’s Maternal Health Initiative joined Oxfam India, CARE Bangladesh, and epidemiologists, amongst others in Kathmandu, Nepal, for a two-day, regional workshop on maternal health. Please join us on March 31st to continue the discussion about how best to improve results in this complex, critical part of the world.
Despite decreased maternal mortality during the last decade, the maternal health crisis in South Asia is far from over. Poor access to health care for women in more traditional societies, low age at marriage, gender-based violence, lack of abortion services, unmet need for family planning, poor quality of care, large uninsured populations, maternal morbidity, and other issues continue to linger.
Accordingly, there is a need for innovative partnerships, scalable social enterprises, and redefining the role of the social sector and governments to tackle these residual and emerging challenges. As we come to the end of the Millennium Development Goals, a final push and focused agenda are required to go the “last mile.” Now is the time to look back, note the experiences and lessons, re-strategize, and move ahead to close the gaps.
Want to attend but can’t? Tune into the live or archived webcast at WilsonCenter.org (not every event is webcast live; archived webcasts go up approximately one day after the meeting date).
- Pakistan’s Most Recent Demographic and Health Survey Reveals Slow Progress
- Overcoming Malnutrition Key to Maternal and Child Health Improvements, Says Dr. Ranu Dhillon
- Maternal Health in India: Making Progress in a Key Arena
Media guests, including TV crews, are welcome and should RSVP directly to Benjamin.Dills@wilsoncenter.org. Media bringing heavy electronics MUST indicate this in their response so they may be cleared through our building security and allowed entrance. Please err toward responding if you would like to attend.
5th Floor, Woodrow Wilson Center
Event Speakers List:
- Sandeep Bathala // Senior Program Associate, Environmental Change and Security Program, Maternal Health Initiative
- Dr. Linda Bartlett //Associate Scientist, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Pallavi Gupta //Programme Coordinator – Health, Oxfam India
- Dr. Jahangir Hosain // Program Director-Health, CARE Bangladesh
- Barbara Stilwell //Senior Director of Health Workforce Solutions, IntraHealth International