Spreading the Message of the International Day for Maternal Health and Rights
On April 11th, the world gathered to celebrate the second annual International Day for Maternal Health and Rights. Voices of maternal health groups from around the world called for recognition and action on human rights abuses that women suffer during pregnancy, labor and the time after birth. These voices were organized by the MHTF and CHANGE into a blog carnival during the week leading up to April 11th. From health disparities in the U.S. to fighting stigma against HIV-positive women in India, 24 different blogs were shared that chronicled women’s experiences and the work we have left to do as the maternal health community. We invite you to learn more about the International Day for Maternal Health and Rights and the stories of women from around the world by reading these featured blogs:
- MHTF: Addressing disparities in the U.S. for maternal health and rights
- CHANGE: Center for Health and Gender Equity: #IntlMHDay: It’s time to make maternal health and rights a priority!
- EngenderHealth: Taking Action on International Maternal Health and Rights Day
- USAID’s TRAction Project: International Day for Maternal Health and Rights 2015: Addressing Disrespect and Abuse during Childbirth
- Every Mother Counts: International Day for Maternal Health and Rights
- Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation: Speaking Out Against Stigma
- RH Reality Check: Rights-Based Maternity Care Must Become a Global Priority
- WaterAid America via Huffington Post: The Basics of Maternal Health: Taking a Stand for Clean Water and Hygiene in Health Facilities
- Jacaranda Health: Why Respectful Maternity Care Should Be the Right of All Women
- Pathfinder International: Saving Mothers’ Lives in India & Too Good, and True: Ensuring rights-based, quality maternal health care in Mozambique
- Planned Parenthood: Fighting for Maternal Health and rights means acting on the Helms Amendment
- International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF): Does Maternal Healthcare Include Abortion?
- Global Health Council: Ensuring maternal health and rights is central to sustainable development
- IDEAS: Reproductive Health Rights: Collateral damage in the face of Ebola?
- What to Expect: What I Want Every Mom Around the World to Be Able to Feel
- Women and Children First (UK): International Day for Maternal Rights – let’s take action
- Leadership, Management & Governance Project: Equipping midwives to transform workplaces and end preventable maternal and child deaths
- Global Moms Challenge: Every Woman Deserves the Chance to Live Through Childbirth
- PAI: A call to action on maternal health care
- APHA International Health blog: Humanity of Gender Equality
- Dandelion Kenya via Rural Reporters: Maternal health and access to SRHR
- Advocates for Youth: Access to family planning and reproductive healthcare in developing countries
- Health Families, Health Planet: Reclaiming Birth with Sacred Worth
The International Day for Maternal Health and Rights is co-organized by the Center for Health and Gender Equity (CHANGE), Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation (EGPAF), EngenderHealth, Ibis Reproductive Health, International Planned Parenthood Federation Western Hemisphere Region (IPPF/WHR), Maternal Health Task Force (MHTF), Pathfinder International, White Ribbon Alliance, and Women Deliver.
Categories: Maternal Health